H2019.10.12 - Trelawny of the Wells poster 1927

Catalogue Number
H2019.10.12
Object Name
poster
Object Type
theatre
Origin Country
USA
Origin Province / Territory
New York
Origin Municipality
New York
Use Country
Canada
Use Province / Territory
British Columbia
Use Municipality
Vancouver
Dates/Period
1920s
Date
1927 to
Artifact History

Trelawny of the 'Wells' is an 1898 comic play by Arthur Wing Pinero. It tells the story of a theatre star who attempts to give up the stage for love, but is unable to fit into conventional society. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trelawny_of_the_%27Wells%27 (accessed 28/01/2019). It was performed at Vancouver's third Orpheum in May, 1927.

The first Orpheum opened in 1905 on Cordova Street, the second opened at Pender and Howe in 1906, the third opened in 1913 in the old Vancouver Opera House in the 700 block Granville St. and the fourth, or New Orpheum, opened in 1927 in the 800 block of Granville Street (address now 601 Smithe St., still in business 2019). [https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/this-week-in-history-1927-a-modified-spanish-renaissance-theatre-opens-on-granville-street] The third Orpheum, at 761 Granville Street, was renamed the Vancouver Theatre (later the Lyric, then the International Cinema, then the Lyric once more before it closed for demolition in 1969 to make way for the Pacific Centre). The fourth Orpheum was designed by Scottish architect Marcus Priteca, the theatre officially opened on November 8, 1927 as a vaudeville house, providing a mix of live and movie entertainment. As of 2019, the Orpheum is the only surviving Canadian theatre designed by Priteca and has been designated a National Historic Site of Canada. http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/336523 (accessed 25/01/2019)

One of 17 posters in this accession found beneath the floorboards during the restoration of the Blue Cabin (2017), former cabin of artists Al Neil and Carole Itter. It is believed that the cabin was built by a Norwegian man on a dock in Coal Harbour. It was brought over to Dollarton Mud Flats where it stayed until 2015, when it was removed to make way for a development by Polygon Homes. The cabin was once one of numerous shacks found in pockets around the Metro Vancouver foreshore. In North Vancouver, the Blue Cabin was a part of a community of outsiders living in Maplewood Flats from the 1950s through the 1970s that included novelist Malcolm Lowry, poet Dorothy Livesay, and Greenpeace founder Paul Spong. Today (2018), a number of arts organizations are working together to turn the Blue Cabin into a floating artist’s residency.

Manufacturer
Carey and Sons [LIT?]
Associated Vancouver Neighbourhood

downtown

Supporting Documentation Contents

The Blue Cabin Exhibition publication by the grunt gallery;
Blue Cabin Restoration Uncovers Entertainment Snapshot of Old Vancouver article by the Vancouver Sun;
grunt gallery email correspondence

Physical Description
rectangular; portrait orientation; top shows theatre name and date of shows; centre left displays the cast list on a drawn scroll of paper; centre right depicts drawing of cast of characters
Material
paper
Colour
white, orange, black
Parts
Artifact Part Height (cm) Length (cm) Width (cm) Depth (cm) Diameter (cm) Thickness (cm) Weight
56 34
Technique
printed
Subject

Entertainment

Nomenclature
Department
History
Source
Grunt Gallery